Thursday 2 February 2012

And now the weather's turned cold and clear.  Snow on Sunday night - enough for the children to throw snowballs after dark - but it was largely washed away by morning.  Still some snow on the tops around Widecombe and Haytor, though, which is lending a little atmosphere.


Photo: www.virtualheb.co.uk

Photo by Dennis Connolly
I gave a talk for Widecombe History Group last night entitled The Secret Life of Dartmoor's Goosanders, which seemed to go down very well.  Goosanders are fascinating ducks (drake top and female with ducklings below) with some secrets that weren't discovered until recently - namely the habit that the males have of absconding to northern Norway to moult after mating.  I know what my female readers are thinking...


I would like to thank Anthony Beard and all at the History Group for inviting me along and making me welcome (as well as receiving the talk well) - I enjoyed the evening very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment